LUMINA is a dynamic team of teaching artists committed to enriching musical experiences and perspectives through our work with schools and choirs.
Our educational activities include:
- School visits (see our sample educational program below)
- Choral workshops and coachings tailored to each choir’s goals (youth choirs, high school choirs, college and university choirs, church choirs, and community choirs)
Lumina served as Minnesota Public Radio Class Notes Artists in the 2015-16 and 2017-18 school years, and we are honored to be a part of this program again in 2018-19! To learn more about our work with students through the Class Notes program, please visit https://www.classicalmpr.org/story/2017/12/27/meet-class-notes-artist-lumina.
Sample Educational Program: A Musical World Tour
Grades: Pre-K – 6
Session duration: 35-55 minutes
(Generally 35 minute programs for Pre-K and Kindergarten, and 45-55 minute programs for Grades 1-6).
Back-to-back programs available.
Learning spaces: classroom (up to 35 students) or school assemblies (up to large room capacity; sound system required to amplify speaking).
Description: An engaging program of songs from 8 distinct cultures around the world (British Isles, Japan, Scandinavia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, South Africa, North- and South America), featuring participatory singing and movement, active listening experiences, and introductions to selected musical and cultural concepts.
Highlights from this program include:
• Singing and listening to musical rounds
• Listening to sounds moving through physical space
• Identifying changes in tempo and vocal texture
• Using the voice to imitate other sounds in our environments
• Expressing stories and emotions through music
• Experiencing the work rhythms and gestures in song traditions
For more information about bringing Lumina to your school, choir, or other community group, please contact us.
If you are an individual, community, or organization interested in hosting or sponsoring Lumina’s educational programs, please contact us.